Retirement Plan Administration
Regardless of whether your company is large or small, employer-sponsored retirement plans are the most popular and effective way for you and your employees to save for retirement!
• Contributions are tax-deductible and can provide significant tax savings
• Employee contributions are not taxed until distributed (except for Roth)
• Contributions and earnings grow on a tax-deferred basis
• Helps attract and retain key talent
• Affords greater “buying power” for individuals by pooling retirement savings
• Offers protection of assets from creditors
There are many different types of plans with flexible options. A well-designed plan should:
• Support the unique goals and objectives of the company
• Support employee participation and participant outcomes
• Be easy to understand and administer
• Not create undue administrative burdens for staff
• Work well within the company’s budget without any financial “surprises”
Whether you have an existing plan or are interested in starting a new plan, many factors determine which type of plan and the features will be best suited to meet your needs.
Plan Selection and Design
The first and most important step in the plan development process is to assist the employer in designing the right type of retirement plan for their company and employees. This generally involves understanding the employer’s goals and budget concerns, reviewing and evaluating their present benefit structure, proposing various options that meet their needs, and then designing the appropriate retirement plan for the employer based on their identified needs.
Plan Documentation and Implementation
Baker Tilly Vantagen will implement the appropriate type of retirement plan for the employer, whether it’s a prototype plan (standardized or non-standardized), a volume submitter plan, or an individually designed plan. We will also provide all related plan documentation, such as summary plan descriptions, enrollment and administrative forms, and any other related materials. If appropriate, Baker Tilly Vantagen will also prepare any necessary IRS determination letter applications.
Plan Administration and Compliance
Employer sponsored retirement plans generally must adhere to complex rules, regulations, and testing requirements enforced by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and Department of Labor (DOL). Baker Tilly Vantagen will serve as the Third-Party Administrator to ensure compliance with these requirements and maximize the success of the employer’s retirement plan.
Our administration services include the following:
• Annual nondiscrimination and compliance testing
• Prepare annual plan administration report
• Preparation and submission of signature-ready Form 5500
• Monitor vesting and eligibility
• Asset reconciliation, employer and participant contributions
• Processing participant retirement, hardship, and loan distributions
• Calculation and allocation of annual employer contributions
• Preparation of the Summary Annual Report (SAR)
• Employee enrollment, participation, and distribution forms
• Review and execute appropriate handling of plan forfeitures
• Allocation of investment earnings, gains/losses, and forfeitures
• Annual IRS Forms 945 and 1099-R reporting
• Calculation and review of age 70½ required minimum distributions
• Other consulting or administrative services as needed
"BTV has made it easier to do my job as a Benefits Administrator”
- Sr. Manager of HR Services at a Technologies Company
Interested in learning more? Contact Us!